Address: Irish Seed Savers Association, Capparoe, Scarriff, Co. Clare, Ireland
Phone: +353 61 921866
Growing Vegetables in Your Garden
Top 5 tips for geting started!
Tomatoes grown in Scarriff
- Start small, whether itís a container or raised beds; give your garden and body time to grow.
- Only plant what you want to eat, or plants that are easily maintained. For example fruit bushes like blackcurrants, raspberries and gooseberries require little or no maintenance and yet come summer you are well rewarded with delicious, nutritious fruit produce for all the family.
- Make sure you have a water source as near as possible to your beds, as carrying water is not the best use of time and energy. Also have a water container on hand to make up herbal teas to fertilise your garden. Start with nettle tea just soak nettles in a container for 2 weeks and use this to water your plants.
- Make your compost bin easily accessible to your garden as well as your kitchen, closer to the garden than the kitchen.
- A garden is not just for working in, make it a pleasurable peaceful place for sitting and relaxing, whether it be by a pool or under a tree or arbour you have made.
Suggestions for getting started!
- Join the Irish Seed Savers Association and grow old vegetable varieties which have much better flavour. Plants like land leaguer potatoes, cut and come kales, pilot peas and scallions that your grandparents will be delighted to remember.
- Share your excess seeds and plants with your neighbours, family and friends and spread the word of plant genetic resources.
- Get the children involved plant their names in cress seed, if you have the space grow pumpkins for Halloween.
- Donít just grow vegetables, grow lots of flowers itís the flowers that will bring all your pollinating insects into your newly formed haven.
Brassica Trays grown in Scarriff
Tues - Fri 9.30am - 4.30pm
Sat 12pm - 4.30pm
Closed Sun - Mon
Entrance to Organic Seed Gardens,
Orchards and Woodlands is free to children & subscribers.
Irish Seed Savers - Registered Charity Number CHY 13989
Certified Organic Number IE-ORG-02 |
Licence no. 5629 |
Terms and Conditions |
Privacy Statement |
irishseedsavers.ie © 2017